ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Painted Paper Plate Heart Sewing Craft for Valentine's Day


This is a fun mixed media craft my Grade 4's and 5's created last week. I found the project HERE on the Red Ted Art website. I knew it would be a perfect craft for my Grade 4 and 5 class.
I altered the project a bit to involve some painting.  I bought plain white paper plates and the kids painted them using tempera. Some kept them plain, added glitter glue and/or created patterns.
The one below painted a galaxy scene.


This took one class.


Once dry, students folded a piece of scrap paper in half and cut out half a heart. They had to adjust the size so it fit on the inside of the paper plate. Not too big, but not too small. They traced this and then cut it out. This part was surprisingly tricky!  The paper plate didn't cut cleanly and had a tendency to tear. Perhaps the brand I bought was too cheap. 
So don't cheap out like I did if you try this!
Then, using a single hole punch, they punched holes around the perimeter of the heart.



Then the kids chose a length of yarn and, starting from the back, sewed the yarn in and out of the holes. Some did random, freestyle designs, others created a deliberate pattern.
I love the variety of creative solutions the students came up with!














No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...