ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Ted Harrison style landscapes


My Grade 4 class recently finished these acrylic landscape paintings inspired by one of Canada's most well-known artists, Ted Harrison. The timing of this project was so strange as Mr. Harrison passed away the day after I introduced this lesson to my students (he was 88 years old).

His work is great for upper elementary students as it's a perfect introduction to stylized landscape art. His art is colourful and accessible. Ted Harrison came originally from England and moved to the Yukon (a Canadian territory) where he taught art. He was inspired by the northern landscapes and life in the Yukon.



My students looked at a slideshow of his work as well as a couple of interviews of him on Youtube.
They designed their own stylized landscape, making sure to include a background, middle ground and foreground. They could also include buildings, animals and/or people.


We used acrylic paint- I love the small bottles from the dollar store. They're much easier to distribute paint from as opposed to large class size bottles. 


Students were encouraged to create value changes or gradations and tints: adding white gradually to one colour.



Once dry, everything was outlined with a jumbo Sharpie.































2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are really great! Good job all round :)

Hodgins Art Auctions Ltd. said...

great work

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...