ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Abstract Sculptures using Stockings


Here are some photos from the ever popular 'stocking sculptures' made by some Grade 7/8 classes. I first did this lessons years ago when I was a student teacher. I found the original lesson plan here on the Incredible Art Department website. I followed the lesson step-by-step and it worked brilliantly.

You essentially cut the end off a wire coat hanger, have a small block of wood with two holes drilled into it, and then put the wire ends in. bend it around to get a pleasing form, then stretch a knee high nylon over-top and around the wood base. Then you need to coat/prime it (gesso, house paint, whatever) a bunch of times. Then students paint it using acrylics (don't use tempera- it ends up cracking, a least it did with me). I spray them with gloss varnish afterwards for protection and shine.

It's a great lesson for introducing the concept of Abstract art. After the sculptures are finished, as an extension, I have students do a black and white charcoal drawing of their piece (see photo below). This is a very popular projects and students can get really creative with these.



You can see in the orange and white sculpture above, the student cut a hole through the nylon.
I didn't think it would work, but it did!


These were the sculptures made during my student teaching days. We used some metallic/pearlized paint and glitter for these- they turned out super cool!




10 comments:

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

These abstract sculptures are awesome.
The colors and patterns are beautiful.

sarah k. said...

Thank you for sharing! I've been contemplating doing this lesson with my seventh graders.

Miss said...

Thanks Chesterbrook and Sarah!

Mrs. P said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures and link. I have been thinking of doing this with some of my older students, but I wasn't sure if we should do the drawings first and then the sculptures...also, I love the idea of using a base. The instructions I saw online just had the sculpture lay flat on the table and I thought that would frustrate some of the kids. And I love the glitter, even though I usually can't stand using it--it really does make them look pretty cool. Now I know I have to do this with my students! :-) Thanks!

Miss said...

Thanks Mrs. P!

My kids definitely enjoyed making these- anything sculptural, really, they love.

I am a huge glitter fan and I 'train' students how to glitter-ize efficiently. We use a large folded piece of paper and they glitter over than and then pour the excess glitter back into the original container.

Vicki@MorePowerfulBeyondMeasure said...

The sculptures are stunning! Your students did a wonderful job!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are great! Just wanted to share a link about why HS arts Education is important:
http://tinkerlab.com/2012/04/why-our-high-schools-need-the-arts/

Ch. Stückelberger said...

Great. I'm doing this with one class and the others keep asking if they can do it too.

Miss said...

Thanks you artteachergirl, Melissa and Stuckelberger! Students definitely love making
3-D art!

Lena74 said...

I just love this project! I did this for the first time last summer with high school students in an Upward bound art program. I plan to do this project with my middle school after school art program. I robbed my box of blocks that I got for free on FB market place, I hot glued the wire inside the drilled holes. I purchased the paint and some brushes from the Restore store and I gifted myself a nice manageable stapler.
M

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...